TuTh 11-12:30pm, 3111
Quick jump to:
News Group | Course Information | Instructor
Information | Schedule | Assignments | Project
| Resources | Laboratories
- (12-15) Richie's office hours today
will actually be held in 353 Cory (and not 400 Cory as originally
- (12-12) The office hours schedule
for this week is as follows:
- Milos: Mon. 2:30-4pm, 353 Cory
- Elad: Tues. 11am-12pm, 519 Cory
- Richie: Tues. 1-2pm, 400 Cory
- The final exam will be held on Tues. Dec. 15th from 5-8pm (sharp)
in 100 Wheeler.
- Milos will hold a discussion session this Fri. (Dec. 11th) to
review last year's final. Yue will also hold a discussion session
on Mon. (Dec. 14th) from 10:30am-11:30am.
- Elad will hold a final review session on Mon. Dec. 14th from
5-6pm in 241 Cory.
- (12-8) One way to minimize confusion
with the naming of the nodes in the layout version of the SRAM is to
name the cell instances when you instantiate them. If you do not
use these names, then not only is it possible for the wordlines to get
"scrambled", but the names the extractor uses for each SRAM cell may not
match with what you expect based on the schematic.
- Another robust way of de-convolving the naming between the layout
and the schematic is to ask LVS to generate a correspondence file.
This file tells you which nets in the schematic matched with which nets
in the layout. So, if you know what nets you're looking for in the
schematic, you can just search the correspondence file for those nets
and find their name in the layout.
- (12-7) - Project Announcement Since we want to ensure that everyone has the opportunity to see the
project through to completion (and much of the learning happens by doing
this), we will give additional credit to all
groups who submit a more complete or extended project by 9am Thurs. Dec.
10th. For obvious reasons, this additional credit will be less
than the credit given to groups who completed the same work by the
original deadline. In other words, to receive as much credit as
you can, you should turn in the full extent of the work you've done so
- (12-7) In addition to providing a
summary of the power, performance, and area specs achieved by everyone's
project, in the bonus lecture tomorrow we will cover common
mistakes/issues encountered in the project and how to solve them.
We highly encourage everyone to attend.
- (12-3) There will be no discussion
session tomorrow (12-4) or Monday (12-7).
- (12-3) The GSI's will hold the
following office hours this week and the beginning of next:
- Fri. 9-10am (Milos)
- Fri. 2-3pm (Yue)
- Mon. 9-10am (Milos)
- Mon. 10-11am (Richie)
- (12-1) As announced in class today,
attendance at this Thurs. lecture is mandatory in order to facilitate
filling out the HKN course survey forms. We will also begin
lecture 5 minutes early (i.e., at 11:05am) in order to ensure that we
have enough time to cover the material as well as fill out the forms.
- Homework 9 (which is
optional) has been posted.
- As a point of reference, we have posted an example project poster
from Fall 2007
- (11-25) If you change the power
supply of your SRAM, the margin specifications should all be scaled with
this supply voltage. In other words, if VDD = 0.6V, the
voltage rise during a read must be no greater than 75mV. This
constraint is in reality somewhat optimistic since in reality the
absolute read voltage margin (measured with the butterfly plot)
would actually need to remain constant. So, as indicated by the
report template, be sure to check your voltage margins and compare them
to the original design as well.
- Due to the project, Richie and Yue's office hours have been
shifted next week. Richie will hold his office hours from 2-3pm on
Mon. Nov. 30th, and Yue will hold his office hours from 5-6pm on Tues.
Dec. 1st (both in 353 Cory).
- (11-23) The power and functionality
check SPICE deck is no available on the instructional machines in the
- (11-19) The precharge and output
buffer cells are now available on the instructional machines in the
- Due to Thanksgiving, Richie's office hours for next week have
been shifted to Mon. Nov. 23rd from 2-3pm in 353 Cory Hall.
- (11-18) There was a minor typo in
the originally posted version of HW#8; the end of problem 2)a) should
read "(rising edge of Out)" and not "(falling edge of Out)". A
corrected version of the homework has been posted.
8 is due on Tuesday, 11/24. Drop box in 240 Cory (Student
- Since Elad is out of town this week, Yue will hold office hours
on Tues. from 4-5pm in 353 Cory, and Milos will hold office hours on
Thurs. from 2-3pm, also in 353 Cory.
- (11-9) Starting from this week, Richie's office hours have been moved to
- Because of the holiday, for this week only Richie's office hours
have been moved to Thurs. 1:30-2:30pm.
- (In the future Richie's office hours will still be held on Wed.
- (11-5) Elad will hold extra office
hours today from 3-4pm.
- (11-3) Starting this Thurs. (11-5),
our classroom has been moved to 3111 Etcheverry.
- (11-2) This Tuesday's lecture (11-3)
will be taped ahead from 9:30am to 11am in 521 Cory (the Hogan Room).
- Since Elad will be out of the office on Tues. 11-3, Yue will hold
office hours on Tues. from 4-5pm in 353 Cory.
- Midterm #2 will be held in 2060 Valley LSB from 6:30-8:00pm
(sharp) on Thurs., Nov. 5th.
- Elad will hold a midterm review session on Wed. Nov. 4th from
6:00-7:00pm in 247 Cory.
- (10-29) Starting next week, Yue's
office hours will be held in 353 Cory.
- (10-28) The project phase 1 handout
and the template had some conflicting instructions in terms of the
report - please be sure to follow the instructions provided in the
apologize for the confusion.
- In order to plot the butterfly curves in Waveview you can use the
- Go to File, then click on "Export Waveform Data"
- Choose the name for your output file. For example, "rnm.txt"
- Make sure the "Text Table" option is checked.
- Click OK.
- Now you can import the .txt file into MS Excel or Matlab.
- (10-20) Clarifications on HW#7 problem #2
(a revised version has been posted):
- You should assume that the M2 wire minimum width is 0.14um.
- You should assume that the M2 wire's resistance/square is 0.075ohm/sq.
- You should assume that CD
- For problem #3, please use a minimum channel length of 100nm for
- If you have not yet found a project partner, please email
ee141@cory so that the teaching staff
can help to pair you up with someone.
- Starting this week, Milos' office hours have been moved to
Mondays from 2:30-4pm in 353 Cory.
7 is due on Thursday, 10/22. Drop box in 240 Cory (Student
- (10-14) Since Elad will be out of
town, Richie will hold office hours on Thurs. from 2-3pm in 353 Cory.
- (10-13) For today only, Elad's
office hours have been shifted/extended. They will be held from
2-3pm, and then for another 30 mins from 4-4:30pm.
- Thurs. Oct. 15th's lecture will be taped ahead on Wed., Oct. 14th
in 540A Cory from 10:30am-12pm.
6 is due on Thursday, 10/15. Drop box in 240 Cory (Student
- (10-1) Elad will hold a midterm
review session on Mon. Oct. 5th at 6pm in 241 Cory.
- Clarification: all labs are due one week after they are held,
including lab #4.
- Milos will be in the lab on Monday at 3pm to collect the lab
- Yue and Richie's office hours next week have been moved in order
to answer questions before the midterm. They will be:
- Yue: Monday, Oct. 5th, 3-4pm in 353 Cory
- Richie: Tuesday, Oct. 6th, 1-2pm in 353 Cory
- Midterm #1 will be held in 105 North Gate from 6:30-8:00pm
(sharp) on Tues., Oct. 6th.
- For copies of the previous years' exams (with solutions), please
look at the bottom of the Course Information
section of the website.
- (9-29) Since Elad will be out of
town, Yue will hold extra office hours from 4-5pm on Tues. 9-29 in
5 is due on Thursday, 10/1. Drop box in 240 Cory (Student
- (9-23) Since Elad will be out of
town, Milos will hold extra office hours from 2-3pm on Thurs. 9-24 in
- (9-21) There was a typo in problem
#3 of the originally posted version of HW#4. A corrected version
has been posted; the text stating that "γ=1"
should be removed (γ should be 0.8, as
specified earlier in the problem).
4 is due on Thursday, 9/24. Drop box in 240 Cory (Student
- (9-17) Starting from next week,
Richie's office hours have been moved to 400 Cory (Hughes Room).
- (9-14) There was a typo in problem
#1)c) of the originally posted version of HW#3. A corrected
version has been posted; the first sentence of that problem should begin
with: "By adding just two more transistors to the circuit shown
3 is due on Thursday, 9/17. Drop box in 240 Cory (Student
- (9-7) Because of Labor Day, for this
week only Milos' office hours have been moved to Tues. 2-3pm in 508
Homework 2 is due on Thursday, 9/10. Drop box in 240 Cory (Student
- (9-3) Starting from next Tuesday
(9-8), our classroom has been moved to 155 Kroeber.
- Since next Monday is labor day, for this week only Yue will hold
his discussion session on Fri. from 2-3pm in 293 Cory.
- Milos will hold office hours on Monday from 2-3pm in 508 Cory
- Discussions start this Friday.
- If you didn't attend lecture #1, please come to Elad's office
hours on Tues. to pick up an instructional account form.
- Homework 1 is due on Thursday, 9/3. Drop box
in 240 Cory (Student Lounge).
labs, no discussion sessions in week 1.
to Lab sessions finalized in 2nd week of classes.